Friday, March 9, 2012

Taking the Plunge

Yes, it's years too late, but I'm finally getting around to blogging.  I suppose a mission statement of sorts is in order for the occasion.

The purpose of the blog is twofold: to boldly muse on gaming-related matters, and to riff off-topic as the mood strikes.  I begin with the latter in the hope that it will lead inexorably to the former.

I have been a closet gamer for years, pretty much since high school in the early-mid 80's when I realized that openly gaming was surely going to destroy any chances I had for getting laid.  Whether that dire fear was true or not mattered little at the time; it was real enough to me.  Still, the need to game remained and prospered through my years of formal education and beyond.

As I matured, I found it necessary during my various relationships to, at some point, open up to my significant other about my "hobbies," which in retrospect were pretty tame (D&D and computer games, for the most part).  I remember each and every one of my "self-outings" and the fear that my newfound sweetie would leave me at the curb, pealing away in laughter, the sound of "LOSER!" ringing in my ears.  But of course it never happened that way.  Some of them thought it was quirky, but that was about it.  Still, the fear persisted.

Fast-forward to the present-day.  My lovely, mostly-accepting, bride informs me that my gaming is common knowledge within her family.  I sink lower into the seat cushions now at family gatherings.  The fear of my work colleagues learning of my hobby is crippling.

I know, I know, I should have some Geek Pride here.  I look forward to the day, not too long from now, where I age to the Point of No Longer Caring.  But I'm not there yet.

3 comments: